When choosing your dream shutters, there are several factors to consider. As well as deciding what type of shutter will best suit your home, colour and size of louvres, you must decide whether or not you want the tilt rod to be visible.
Tilt rods are essentially the material and mechanism that are used to angle your slats and dictate the natural lighting of your home. They are also vital for the overall aesthetics of the shutter and can be a standout feature.
Tilt rods can be either visible or hidden. Here’s all you need to know before making your decision:
Visible Tilt Rod
- Throughout the history of shutters, the tilt rod has been on show. So if you have a traditional interior, a visible tilt rod may suit the needs of your home.
- Visible tilt rods are not just restricted to the centre of your shutters and can be positioned to the left or right – opening up your shutters to a variety of different looks.
- Visible tilt rods are easy to access and intuitive to use. Hidden tilt rods may confuse guests or family members who aren’t used to the mechanism.
- Can make your shutter look too ‘busy’ especially if you have lots of ornamentation on your windows such as leading or grills.
- As a conspicuous feature, the visible tilt rod may be tempting for young children to mess around with which could leave to damage over time.
Hidden Tilt Rod
- Hidden tilt rods are disguised within the stiles of your shutters and can be opened and closed easily by rolling the tilt rod with the palm of your hand or by physically moving the individual louvres.
- Many think shutters appear more streamlined without a tilt rod, making a hidden tilt rod perfect for minimalists.
- The hidden tilt rod can prevent excessive lines from dividing form of your shutters, especially when coupled with full height shutters and wide louvres.
- Hidden tilt rods may not be ideal for those who would prefer a more traditional design of shutter.
- The hidden tilt rod may come at an extra cost compared to the standard visible tilt rod.
For more information on visible rods and hidden rods for shutters, or to book your no obligation in-house survey, call Totally Shutters today on 0203 960 6963. All shutters come with a 5-year guarantee.