Understanding Shutter Terminology


On the Totally Shutters blog, we talk a lot about plantation shutters. But if you’re new to shutters, this terminology that we use to describe technical specifications and different shutter designs maybe a little confusing. This guide will introduce you to some of the key terms to help you with your window covering research:


A panel is a frame hinged to the window area which swings open like a door to expose the window. The panel is where slats are located in full-height, tier-on-tier and cafe style shutters.


A shutter slat or louvre is the small pieces of wood that sit in the shutter panel. Slats are operated by using the tilt rod or by pushing a single slat which is clipped to an internal cog mechanism. Slats control how much light enters the room.

Tilt rod

A tilt rod is a wooden stick attached to the front of the shutter panels, used to control the tilt angle of slat sections. You can either choose to opt for a tilt rod or an internal cog mechanism.


There are two rails on every shutter panel, located above and below the slats. A divider rail may also be added, particularly on large windows. Rails give support to the panel and any optional extras such as locks.


The frame is where the plantation shutter attaches to the windows on their surrounds. Various framing styles are available, but your shutter specialist will tell you in your free in-house survey what option will be best for your window type.

Divider rail

The divider rail is sometimes used for decorative purposes to align the window divide, or for structural support on particularly large panels. The location usually depends on any divides in the window.


For more information on our plantation shutters or to book your free no obligation in-house survey, call Totally Shutters today on 0203 960 6963. All plantation shutters come with a 5-year guarantee.

Recommended Posts