Although we do not usually recommend fitting your shutters yourself, in these uncertain and worrying times, we understand you may feel more at ease measuring and installing your plantation shutters yourself.
Unfortunately, installing plantation shutters can be a very tricky process. To get a product that fits perfectly and operates smoothly, you’ll need to make sure that you have the skills in DIY required, but also an attention to detail in both measuring and installation.
What you will need:
- Exact measurements
- Totally Shutters phone number
- Correct tools for the fitting
- More than one person for larger installs
How to measure for plantation shutters
We advise to measure in at least three places for every side of the window, to check that the window is square and the dimensions are consistent. Always use the largest measurements, as they can be reduced via a sander if needed.
For a standard rectangular window, you will need to:
- Measure the width and height of the window – this will need to be inside or outside the recess depending on how you are planning to fit your plantation shutters.
- Measure at least three different points for the height and width.
- Note the dimensions you find.
For other types of windows, such as special shapes and bays, other steps will be required. We advise in speak with one of our shutter specialists to ensure you get the measurements right.
Once you have the dimensions of your window, call Totally Shutters on 0203 960 6963 and we will craft and manufacture your made-to-measure shutters.
How to install plantation shutters
You will need the correct tools to install and fit shutters:
- Power drill
- Hammer drill
- Electric planer
- Spirit level
- Tape measure
- Stanley knife
- Masking tape
The steps to install plantation shutters:
- Assemble the frame – depending on the access to the window itself this could be in one piece or assembled within the recess itself
- Install the frame – attach at a few fixing points inside/outside the recess as guided by the frame type
- Attach the panels – drop the hinge pins into place
- Check movement – panels and louvres should be able to move easily without any obstruction
- Amend if necessary
To guarantee a perfect finish and correct operation, it is highly advisable to use a shutter expert to fit your made-to-measure plantation shutters. However, our shutter experts are on call to help you through each process. Call 0203 960 6963 to discuss your plantation shutters requirements.